The commune of Măceşu de Jos is located in the Danube meadow, having as neighbors: at the south river Danube; to the west, the commune of CARNA; to the north MĂŞŞU DE SUS commune; at the east village NEDEIA - commune GIGHERA.
MĂCESU DE JOS appears as a village in 1061, according to the Map of SCHVARTZ. The same source explains how it was possible to populate this area. Located at the southern border of the country, on the Danube, the current community, offered at that time favorable conditions for the various occupations of the population of the neighboring territories: Bulgarians, Turks and Serbs beyond the Danube. These, in order to escape the terror of the Turkish Empire, sought and found here conditions conducive to living. It comes to support this theory that many families have names of Slavic origin.
The name of the commune - MACEŞU DE JOS - comes from the fact that in the area there were real forests of wild roses, races, roars; even now grow spontaneously. The village was also called Serbian Mace.
In 1901 the village was transformed into a commune with a population of 1693 inhabitants, 285 houses and 59 huts. In the village there were 5 cisterns, a carpenter, 10 furriers and 3 blacksmiths. In 1941 the population of the commune was 2247 inhabitants, the number of houses being 47. At present, after the last census, the number of households is 694, with 1292 inhabitants.
The first school was founded in 1750, then in 1864 a new one was built, which lasted until 1902, when it was built a school with 2 classrooms. In 1936, at the school built in 1902, two more classrooms and chancellery were added, a building that became a Village Museum, now the Communal Library.