The commune was founded by the administrative law of March 31, 1864, abolished in 1930, restored in 1932. The commune is attested on August 29, 1577 in a consolidation act for Bohani village, mentioned in other documents from XVI-XVII centuries in its map Schwantz under the name of Jurjitza (1723), in the cats of 1831, 1840, 1842, 1844 in Szathmary under the name of Georgitia 1864.
Giurgita commune consists of three villages:
Giurgita commune is located in the central part of Dolj county, southwest of Segarcea town and along the county road DJ. 561, Segarcea, Barca within the Bailesti field, subunit of the large geomorphological unit, '' Oltenia Plain ''.
It is bordered by:
According to the census carried out in 2011, Giurgiţa's population amounts to 2,883 inhabitants, down from the previous census of 2002 when there were 3,219 inhabitants. Most of the inhabitants are Romanian (89.14%), with a minority of Roma (7.7%). For 3.16% of the population, ethnicity is unknown. From the confessional point of view, most of the inhabitants are Orthodox (96.77%). For 3.16% of the population, confessional membership is unknown.